[clug] A "mount" defeat - was Re: Persuading Debian to talk to an Android tablet via USB?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 03:30:21 MDT 2010

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:38:35 +1100, Hal Ashburner wrote:

> Hub. Plug it into one USB port and it provides 4. Much like a powerboard
> for electricity, but for USB. Used when you haven't got enough USB
> ports,

Not my problem; the computer has 4 spare USB sockets; to date I have
never needed more than 1.

> finally, which is your use, to provide more power to USB
> devices you're attaching as the port can have it's own power supply
> rather than relying on the one in the computer.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.  If that was the problem, then, with
luck, the USB-connection between the tablet and the computer might be
encouraged to surface.  All the other claimed features of the tablet
appear to work.

>> . Hopefully, the offered diagnosis (that my problems are caused by my
>> aged computer) will prove to be correct.
>>
> Yeah, fingers crossed man. The diagnosis is unfortunately not a lock.
> Could be your SD reader is just plain old faulty.

Easy to check (on my daughter's laptop); I shall soon know!
It'd be nice if it

> Hey, another thing, those USB ports on your 5 year old machine are 5
> years old too. Give them a quick clean and make sure the contacts are
> all nice? Can't hurt.

One of the contacts is probable worse for wear; the others may just be a
bit dusty>

> Deal extreme are ok for these kinds of purchase I reckon,

They ultimately posted my tablet - 9 weeks after they collected my money
and 10 days after I officially canceled the order and asked to have my
money back.  The full saga cannot safely be published; it might have
undesired legal repercussions.  But I learned something; Hong Kong
sellers, that advertise on eBay, achieve prompter delivery-times.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)