[clug] A "mount" defeat - was Re: Persuading Debian to talk to an Android tablet via USB?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 14:51:54 MDT 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 23:20:48 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Hal Ashburner <hal at ashburner.info> writes:
>>  On 21/Oct/10 10:37 PM, Alex Satrapa wrote:
>>
>>> The theory is that a USB port controller is supposed to be able to
>>> negotiate with devices about whether to provide power, and if so, how
>>> much. The USB port is supposed to be able to supply up to 1.5A, and
>>> some high-power devices will request the "whole nine yards"
SNIP
>> Anyway an SD reader shouldn't require loads of power, just about any
>> usb port /should/ do. But I haven't got a better guess as to why
>> felix's isn't working beyond maybe it's just a flaky PoS. Who knows?
>
> At this point I would be guessing that the USB service on his
> motherboard is dubious, especially since using a different port produced
> better results with the same client device.
>
> Which might also explain why the Android device didn't work as expected,
> because a host-side fault would cause all sorts of clients to fail.

I am learning a lot; even if none of it helped to solve my current
problem.  Not even rhythmic chanting while rebooting the computer was any
help!

My computer is *very* old (e.g. 5+years); it offers 4 spare usb 2.0 ports
- no detailed specs in the manual.  And it appears that not
all usb 2.0 ports are equal; some are more equal than others

However, if my usb connection is unreliable, one other option for
accessing the Android tablet remains. The supplied tablet connector has 2
sockets for a USB cable and one socket for a RJ-45 cable.

I have never attempted to set up a LAN.  Maybe the time has come to learn
how to do that?  My router offers 4 RJ-45 sockets and I am currently
using only one (for the computer).

Pointers to documentation, that would tell me what I am letting myself in
for, will be gratefully received.

Felix
--
Felix Karpfen