[clug] anyone using a Linux as an Internet gateway?

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 21:26:57 MDT 2010

> On Wed Oct 20 19:32:31 MDT 2010, Daniel Rose drose_at_dtlm.homelinux.net wrote:
>> On 10/20/10 18:41, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>>
>>> I use low-end laptops with the screens
>>> removed - I don't know the power consumption.
> I find the PCMCIA LAN ports too fiddly and delicate.  Do you simply persist with these or have you a nicer solution to the need for a second Ethernet interface?

I have a box of surplus Xircoms that I have no other use for. I've never
had any problems getting IPCop, Smoothwall, or Debian to detect them.
Two PCMCIA cards plus the built-in NIC gives me the three internal zones
I want. For non-laptop based firewalls I use AMD PCnet32 NICs - again, a
box of surplus (originally from the ANU , courtesy of an ex-CLUGer).
If I *didn't* have a pile of legacy NICs, Thinkpads and Toshibas, I'd
probably go for a solution similar to the FIT-PC.
I do have half a dozen hackable LinkSys boxen, but IMNSHO the only
reliable purpose for them is to level wonky tables. ;-p

Regards