[clug] anyone using a Linux as an Internet gateway?

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Oct 19 18:38:19 MDT 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> I can highly recommend IPCop as a firewall and router
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCop
> It's a good way to recycle an old, low spec PC. Smoothwall Community

Now-adays I recommend people *not* reuse an old PC for this 24/7 work.  I
suggest they make an investment in a low-power box and wait for the
machine to pay for itself in power savings.

I replaced a 70W PC with a 4W Fit-PC (version 1).  That's about $85/year
in electricity (at current rates).  The unit cost me $420.  That's not a
bad ROI.  I find the machine to have ample power for shifting packets
around.

> Cheers

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.