[clug] anyone using a Linux as an Internet gateway?

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Tue Oct 19 04:51:05 MDT 2010

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:51:41 +1100
Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> > > So just wonder is there a big reason why I should use my Fedora
> > > box instead of a dedicated router.
> >
> > Any PC will use a lot more power than a dedicated router. Having
> > said that, there are ASUS EEPCs available at Harvey Norman for
> > about $200, they have Ethernet and WiFi built in. That gives you a
> > lot more RAM and processor speed to play with than any Billion or
> > Linksys will give you.
>
> I have a Fit-PC 2i (http://www.fit-pc.com) which makes a very nice
> little server/internet gateway and uses less than 8W ... They are a
> bit expensive, though :-(

I really wanted one of those because of the very low power usage, but
as a compromise to cost ended up with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Jetway-J7F4K1G5S-Dual-LAN-Mini-ITX-Morex-Industrial-1GB-/400060689332?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5d2579abb4#ht_3528wt_1141

Low power mini-itx with dual lan ports.

It may just be that I have a dodgy ADSL modem, but the connection to my
ISP also seems a lot more reliable when I have the linux box do the ppp
connection (the ADSL modem used to freeze up occasionally).

Chris
cyeoh at ozlabs.org