[clug] anyone using a Linux as an Internet gateway?

Brians brians at en.com.au
Tue Oct 19 01:02:21 MDT 2010

Paul,

I use atom based mitx pcb (170mm x 170mm) (Intel ~$110) off a 12V DC
adaptor (with PC case ~$110), DDR memory, 2.5" HD and two ethernet ports
to make Ubuntu server gateway computers to isolate me from internet.
Uses ~ 40W but has complete flexibility of what s/w you can run.

Lots of good intrusion s/w etc can be run.

I use shorewall firewall with port knocking on ssh  after many attempted
attacks to  an open ssh port.

Best to keep wireless access point also separate so you can easily
shutdown wireless by switching off power and leaving rest of LAN
operational.

Brian