[clug] anyone using a Linux as an Internet gateway?

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Oct 19 01:10:20 MDT 2010

Paul wrote:

> I'm wondering is there any performance factors for a PC vs a
> router/modem etc..
> ie is a PC a faster firewall and router?
I found a few benefits when I moved from a router to a PC;

* NAT was handled a lot better
* connection control was easier (ie - backchannel control via SMS to
restart the pppd in wet weather)
* dropping things like games consoles/etc into a pseudo DMZ was a lot
easier, or even just poking holes to let stuff in or out
* getting back into the home-office LAN was simpler
* upside-down-ternet was significantly easier
(http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html)
* download bandwidth control was a little bit more fine-grained than
"on" or "off".

Most of these were specific to my needs, so YMMV, but with something
like an eepc and a USB-to-ethernet adapter, all this internet and more
can be yours!*

*warning, your internet may contain traces of nuts.

--
--==--
Steve Walsh, RHCE