[clug] anyone using a Linux as an Internet gateway?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Oct 18 23:17:37 MDT 2010

Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> writes:

> After some recent issues which I'm still not completely convinced my
> internet connection is 100% good has left me wanting to know is using a
> Linux Router the best way to go.  ie as far as I can see I have two basic
> options.
>
> 1. Linux router, which also run MythTV and firewall and a few other background
>    scripts (eg Solar power data collection etc..)
> 2. Appliance Router (eg Billion VOIP router/ Wifi access point
>
> So just wonder is there a big reason why I should use my Fedora box instead
> of a dedicated router.

If you can't give that list of reasons yourself then I strongly suggest you
will be better off with a basic appliance router.  (Also, given you need to
own one anyway since a modem-only device pretty much doesn't exist these
days, there is no cost advantage.)

I use PPPoE direct on my Linux server because it gives me direct access to the
public IP address, which made a bunch of the public services easier.  It has
otherwise pretty much only made things more complicated.

> Note I found out that my Billion router is definitely not upto some attacks
> but they seem to be rare.

Yah.  You are generally pretty unlikely to hit serious limitations of the
device.  Keep in mind, too, that you are unlikely to have to stick with your
decision: if the router doesn't cut it you can just put it into pure bridge
mode and run PPPoE on your server anyway. :)

        Daniel