[clug] anyone using a Linux as an Internet gateway?

Paul mylists at wilsononline.id.au
Mon Oct 18 23:06:10 MDT 2010

After some recent issues which I'm still not completely convinced my internet connection
is 100% good has left me wanting to know is using a Linux Router the best way to go.
ie as far as I can see I have two basic options.

1. Linux router, which also run MythTV and firewall and a few other background scripts (eg
Solar power data collection etc..)
2. Appliance Router (eg Billion VOIP router/ Wifi access point

So just wonder is there a big reason why I should use my Fedora box instead of a dedicated
router.

Note I found out that my Billion router is definitely not upto some attacks but they seem
to be rare .

thanks
Paul W