[clug] Multi-seating (linux Digest, Vol 94, Issue 18, Message 5)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 22:44:55 MDT 2010

Alex,

> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:13:29 +1100
> From: Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au>
>
> The hardest part will be separating the keyboards and mouses from each other. I recall some people from CLUG waaay back in the day achieving something like this by dedicating the PS2 keyboard & mouse to one display, the USB devices to the other. This was before /dev/mouse and other such virtual devices (back in the day when only rich people had /dev/sdN).

  Exactly! IIRC "modern" X-config should support multiple bound
screen/input groups (Like XFree86 v4 and later descendants), but I
never had the opportunity to experiment with it myself.

>>  Wow!, 2 users sharing a single Z-series Atom! (Does each user have
>> to bring their own AA battery? :-)
>
> A single Z-series Atom has more processing power than a circa 1995 CAD workstation such as an Apollo.

 It's more their electrical power needs I was getting-at. The Z-series
are for MIDs/phones and thus use the lowest power of all the current
x86s (~2W TDP). The downside is the paired chipset limits you to 1G of
ram and the aforementioned weirdo graphics from mobile-phone land.

M0les.

--
Miles Goodhew,
Executive Computer Scientist