[clug] glitch in upgrading Ubuntu 10.4 to 10.10

Jamie Carl jazz at funkynerd.com
Wed Oct 13 21:46:51 MDT 2010

 If X fails to start it's usually video driver issue.  It's possible
that in /etc/X11/xorg.conf you have explicitly set a video driver which
is either invalid (ie: built against the wrong kernel) or no longer
supports your video card (ATI do this all too often).

1) Change the driver to the VESA framebuffer driver and run in VESA mode
to get up and running.
2) Try (re)moving the xorg.conf file and letting X figure things out for
itself.

For clues, look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and it should be clear what is
going on.

Hope that helps.

Jamie

--