[clug] Persuading Debian to talk to an Android tablet via USB?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:08:43 MDT 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 23:33:41 +1100, Angus Gratton wrote:

> one time I connected a cable to it it just showed up as such on my
Ubuntu desktop. .

It does not on my (Debian); nor on "Puppy Linux".  The "mount" command
fails on Debian; the console says "Unknown File System"; "Puppy Linux"
displays an unused icon.

> It might be worth trying a different cable if you can get hold of
another USB iPod/iPhone cable.

Tried that - no difference.

> Build quality with these tablets is iffy at best, so if that doesn't
> work then my money would be on a physical fault rather than a Windows
> driver requirement.

I got a lot more than I paid for! :-)

Both FBReader and the (tablet) web browser work perfectly.  Being able to
access the many eBook formats, that FBReader offers, was the driving
force behind the purchase.  The USB-cable failure is just a niggle.

Thank you for the interest and advice.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen