[clug] Enterprise Linux use
cottrill.david at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 05:28:11 MDT 2010
I work on AIX p595 hardware for the government. I can't convince anyone to
look at Linux, or open source seriously because of a few points, which I
would like some suggestions on.
1. OSS vendor support will point the finger at hardware and hardware vendor
support will point the finger at OSS when we have a problem.
2. It doesn't boot from SAN. ( well it does on a p595 - thank IBM for that)
3. It is less efficient than a hardware specific OS
4. It is less stable than a paid (Unix) OS
5. OSS sales staff can't compete with predatory pricing from the hardware
6. Can't get certified, experienced staff. Not so much OS as programming
environments such as a 'PHP solutions architect' or similar title that the
Websphere world seems thick with
All these points are hollow to me, but I'm hoping people out there have more
compelling arguments than I do.
Thanks in advance,
More information about the linux