[clug] Anyone using 'Asterisk' as a SIP client??

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Oct 10 04:25:00 MDT 2010

On 10 Oct 2010, at 20:30, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> You can get a digital (DECT) cordless Siemens Gigaset SIP phone that will
> happily talk to Asterisk, and which is digital all the way through.  Much,
> much nicer — and you only have *one* analog port to tune when it turns out
> that the call quality is a disaster for the other party.

Yup, you go to all that effort to get nice analog output, only to have the upstream provider take your POTS analog signal and digitise it "their way" which stuffs things up for everyone equally (hey, it's fair and equitable, everyone sounds just as bad).

Or ditch the POTS and go all-digital. You could even do that with a naked ADSL 2+ offering from someone like Internode.

And laugh as Telstra tries to raise $1BN from shareholders to fund projects to make copper lines "more appealing", after having spend the last decade trying to push people off copper to their expensive mobile network.

Not that I have an opinion on the subject.
Alex