[clug] Last night's RMS talk on software patents

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Tue Oct 5 15:55:02 MDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 08:26:17AM +1100, Paul Leopardi wrote:
> 6. I asked the last question, which was to ask him what he thought about IEEE-
> USA's Bilksi amicus brief in favour of software patents.
IEEE-USA is really quite separate from the rest of the IEEE. It's more
like a union than a professional body (bit like APESMA versus IE Aust).
It's not the first time there has been interesting times because of
IEEE-USA. The last one I recall was about the USA visas.
To be blunt, in my opinion its a US-centric anti-rest-of-the-world type
organisation, that is really in some ways embarrassing to the worldwide
part of IEEE proper, at times.

> http://www.ieeeusa.org/communications/releases/2010/062910.asp
Thanks for pointing that out though.  I didn't know their exact position
but it's not too surprising.

 - Craig

--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au