[clug] Linux downloads

Cody Miller cody at apex.net.au
Sat Nov 20 22:12:19 MST 2010

On 11/20/2010 8:47 PM, Keith wrote:
>  On Saturday 20 November 2010 Antti Roppola wrote :
>
>>  First I would be looking at those files by manually downloading one of
>>  them and test/manipulate them with dpkg to see if they are valid.
>>  http://www.debianadmin.com/debianubuntu-package-management-using-dpkg.html
>>  wget
>>  http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/c/coreutils/coreutils_7.4-
>>  2ubuntu3_i386.deb
>>  dpkg -c coreutils_7.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb    # show contents
>>  dpkg -I coreutils_7.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb    # show package info
>>  dpkg -p coreutils_7.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb    # show package details
>>  a1sum coreutils_7.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb    # Should match the SHA1 sum that will probably be in the package details
>  	I will need to puzzle that out but will give it a try.
>
>  A little later Stephen Walsh opined :
>
>>  au.archive.ubuntu.com is the AARNET mirror. Those errors indicate a
>>  problem at their end. I'd send an email to 'mirror at aarnet.edu.au' and
>>  ask them to double check their last few pulls from ubuntu. Let me know
>>  if you don't get any traction and I'll poke people who can poke people
>>  harder.
>  	Thank you - I will.
>
>    ....  and to which Daniel Pittman added :
>
>>  Keith: does your ISP operate a transparent proxy for HTTP content?  I suspect
>>    does, and is the root cause of your problems here.
>  	Dunno, but I could ask them.

Hi Keith, Daniel,
     We don't operate a transparent proxy (to be honest that's so 1995).
     There is no point in doing that anymore as 90% of content is dynamic!

Keith,
     I can see your using au.archive.ubuntu.com however if you use
     mirror.internode.on.net its not counted against your
     monthly quota (its unmetered)

Cheers,
Cody Miller