[clug] MythTV Question 2: Xorg 1.7, Hal, TwinHan Remote

Jeff NotTelling smee.heee at gmail.com
Mon May 24 01:46:15 MDT 2010

G'Day List,

I have a second question on MythTV, or strictly on remote devices,
this time on my Myth boxes.

I have had a couple of Gentoo based MythTV boxes running fine for a
number of years using a TwinHan remote.  The remote just presents
itself as a keyboard, and there is no need to run lirc, or do anything
special apart from change a few keys in MythTV for various commands.

A while back when I upgraded to Xorg 1.6 I needed to add the
ServerFlags section with AutoAddDevices = False set in the xorg.conf
file to allow the remote to continue to work.  All was good for a
while, then last week after a year or so I again upgraded, and this
pulled down Xorg 1.7.  It seems as though now the ServerFlag section
is no longer read or obeyed, and the remote no longer works.  (In fact
I am having some trouble even getting a keyboard working consistently,
but that might be the keyboard that I have salvaged while the remote
is dead.)  I have tried a few different variations in the ServerFlags,
with limited to none success.
Section "ServerFlags"
#	Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
	Option "AutoAddDevices" "on"
	Option "AutoEnableDevices" "on"
	Option "AllowEmptyInput" "on"
EndSection

I have found a few sites [1] that have given me a fdi file to put in
the udev policy directory etc.  The issue is that these work to a
point, they allow Left and Right buttons to work, but nothing else.  I
have also plugged the remote into a fresh Ubuntu box, and it seems to
confirm that under the new Xorg, the only keys that work are the Left
& Right.  A couple of the sites mention installing lirc and I think
one provided a configuration for lirc.

Is the only way around this, down grade to Xorg 1.6, or install lirc?
Obviously I would rather not need to install lirc just to get back the
functionality that I had before the upgrade.  Plus I believe that lirc
can be a bit fiddly to get all applications working correctly in.

Does anyone have any magical fix?  Any on the list that are running
the lastest MythTV with Xorg 1.7, are you just using lirc?  Have you
always just used lirc?

fdi FIle I currently have, located in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/remote.fdi
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="Twinhan Tech Remote Control">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

The Ubuntu machine showed the hid_twinhan module loaded after plugging
int he remote sensor to it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff.