[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG (Interim Summary)

Michael Ross michael.ross at atice.org
Wed May 19 17:48:40 MDT 2010

Hi,

Long time list lurker, incredibly infrequent poster. Thought I'd take
a stab at replying.

> emailing list vs facebook et al - No surprise here; We're are getting a self selecting answer. Which one to use may be a question of audience.

I wouldn't be in a rush to move onto Facebook. Having a page means
users who want to interact with it need a Facebook account (which
quite a few people seem to be turning off). I'd suggest though the
idea has some merit, so perhaps other social media sites should be
evaluated? Failing those it would make a good place to start expanding
the website from.

> The need for marketing of Linux to windows users who still somehow don't know Linux exists.
>
> Regarding talks: Basic talks - aimed at beginners: Talks, courses, Q &A/Tutuorials etc.
> Anyone care to take a stab at sketching out a syllabus?

This is perhaps where I think the discussion should be at. I
personally think despite the advances Linux has made it is turning
into a harder fight. Is it therefore in turn worthwhile promoting the
group to new users? I used to use just linux but made the switch back
to windows a while back. So far I haven't seen a compelling reason to
switch back again.

cheers,

--
Michael