[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed May 19 05:57:18 MDT 2010

Hmmm....  I have just read through the dichotomy of replies to Pauls
original post and as usual these replies contain a lot of good ideas and
intent.

As a non technical, non IT industry Linux home user who has spent some 3
years learning the basics of this excellent operating system to a point
where I am quite comfortable using and administering my small home
network including a "Myth Box", I feel I should throw my two bobs worth
into the discussion.

I think that the current structure of CLUG is as good as it needs to
be.  The mailing list is, for this kind of organisation the best and
simplest way for people to communicate.  It works, it doesn't impose an
huge burden on anyone to administer yet still provides a vehicle for
questions, rants, information and advice.  I cant see how Twitter,
Facebook, Wikis or Fancy interactive web pages and the like are going to
improve things.  Just keep it simple.

The many occasions that I have consulted the collective wisdom of the
list's members to improve my understanding of some aspect of Linux with
which I was struggling has always yielded at least part of the answer to
my struggle. For this I am grateful and in return I am quite happy to
"Kick the Tin" to assist in the goals of CLUG if I can contribute.

If CLUG really wishes to play a part in attracting and educating Mum and
Dad users to the world of Linux then it is necessary for many more
people to devote some time to this goal than it appears exist at the
moment.  The hardest thing to do is to make people aware that Linux
exists, that it is a fully functional alternative to the Windows OS that
came with their PC or Notebook when they bought it and that there are
some significant advantages to making the switch to Linux.  To achieve
this there needs to be "Marketing Activity" and that takes effort.
There are many ways to market something with little or no cost but it
does need people to make it happen.

Now, I don't attend CLUG meetings as a rule because the content of the
meetings are generally too technical for me and I would not gain
anything from attending.  On the few occasions that I have attended a
CLUG event however, I havn't found the environment particularly
welcoming.  This does not worry me personally because I have a very
thick skin but I can see how the more sensitive souls in this world
could be put off by an environment of colleages talking amongst
themselves, people fiddling with Netbooks, mates interacting with mates
and no one interacting with the person who is attending for the first
time looking for some guidance.

So I guess that what really needs to be said is that if you are prepared
to spend time replying to a post on this list with comments or ideas
then be equally prepared to make a more practical contribution as well.

Perhaps the next CLUG meeting should focus on defining a few short and
long term goals for CLUG and allocating names to tasks to move things ahead.

Just a few random thoughts and observations

Regards

Ian Bardsley

On 18/05/10 21:31, Paul Wayper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I happened to meet a couple of people who are experienced Linux users but
> aren't regular CLUG attendees and are not on the CLUG list.  I asked them what
> their opinions of the CLUG were, and (paraphrasing and coming through the
> imperfect filter of my memory) they basically said that their experience of
> the CLUG was of an intimidating bunch of know-it-alls with a whole motherboard
> of chips on their shoulder and an intolerance to anyone who broke the
> unwritten and arbitrary rules of the list.

SNIP