[clug] Beginner CLUG [WAS: Re: The harsh realities of CLUG]

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Wed May 19 04:33:51 MDT 2010

On 19 May 2010 19:20, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> Lana Brindley wrote:
>
>  And then I made a fatal mistake. I asked for ideas, suggestions,
>> volunteers,
>> and even donations. *gasp*. Well, of course it fizzled. It fizzled a hell
>> of
>> a lot faster than it sparked in the first place. So the blog, the mailing
>> list, and the idea, have all languished since then. Gathering dust in a
>> neglected corner of the interwebs where ideas that were never quite born
>> go
>> to die.
>>
>> As much as I would really like to garner some of this enthusiasm and
>> inject
>> it into my little project, I can't help but wonder that when that email
>> goes
>> out again (the one that goes "Hey, who wants to help out?!"), will the
>> same
>> rapid desertion occur again?
>>

> Many years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (2005), I was enthused
> about a linux user's conference. Mainly I wanted to keep LCA is geeky as
> possible, and was hoping to con people into taking their less technical
> content over to the user conference.
>
> It never got off the ground, mostly because I moved country instead.
>
> I still think the idea of some sort of introductory event is valid, and I'd
> support it. There is even content already -- Donna's inkscape tutorial for
> example would be a good start. I view that sort of thing as being something
> LA should get behind though, as it should be a national event.
>
> However, I'm probably misinterpreting you. Yeah, a n00bs weekend thing
> would be cool.

No misinterpretation at all. Sounds awesome :)

Admittedly, at the time of embarking on my (somewhat foolhardy) plan
originally, it never even occurred to me to ask LA for funding. Perhaps it's
worth sounding out ... ?

Cheers! Lana

There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's
only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call
them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
 - Richard Feynman

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.