[clug] Beginner CLUG [WAS: Re: The harsh realities of CLUG]

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed May 19 03:20:44 MDT 2010

Lana Brindley wrote:

> And then I made a fatal mistake. I asked for ideas, suggestions, volunteers,
> and even donations. *gasp*. Well, of course it fizzled. It fizzled a hell of
> a lot faster than it sparked in the first place. So the blog, the mailing
> list, and the idea, have all languished since then. Gathering dust in a
> neglected corner of the interwebs where ideas that were never quite born go
> to die.
>
> As much as I would really like to garner some of this enthusiasm and inject
> it into my little project, I can't help but wonder that when that email goes
> out again (the one that goes "Hey, who wants to help out?!"), will the same
> rapid desertion occur again?

Many years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (2005), I was enthused
about a linux user's conference. Mainly I wanted to keep LCA is geeky as
possible, and was hoping to con people into taking their less technical
content over to the user conference.

It never got off the ground, mostly because I moved country instead.

I still think the idea of some sort of introductory event is valid, and
I'd support it. There is even content already -- Donna's inkscape
tutorial for example would be a good start. I view that sort of thing as
being something LA should get behind though, as it should be a national
event.

However, I'm probably misinterpreting you. Yeah, a n00bs weekend thing
would be cool.

Mikal