[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG [SEC=PERSONAL]

Roppola, Antti Antti.Roppola at daff.gov.au
Tue May 18 21:22:14 MDT 2010

Paul wrote:

> Any other thoughts on ways we can improve the CLUG group and make it
> more accessible to people are welcome!

One thing that I am curious about is a perceived change in attendance
profile. When a lot of regulars were still students at ANU, they seemed
to bring along a lot of their class mates and the membership seemed far
more dynamic.

Rather than elitism, I suspect thee issue is actually that of breaking
into any stable, long established (ossified?) social group. In a room
where most people are strangers, new acquaintances will form. In a room
of old friends, it's always going to be easier to talk to people you
already know. Or maybe it's nice to have a comfortable scary devil
monastery[1].

I'd be curious to see where people who are not attending CLUG slake
their needs. Has Linux become so simple, ubiquitous and stable that
there's no need to get peer support?

The Facebook thing is worth exploring and putting some energy into. I
suspect that signing up to a mailing list might seem a touch old
fashioned. We shouldn't expect the usual suspects to carry the can,
indeed in the interest of dynamics we might encourage other Canberra
Linux users to take the lead.

Cheers,

Antti
[1] Replete with coded language and secret in-jokes.

------
IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments have been issued by the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF).  The material transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential, legally privileged, copyright or personal information.  You should not copy, use or disclose it without authorisation from DAFF.  It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or forwarding them.

If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender of this email at once by return email and then delete both messages.  Unintended recipients must not copy, use, disclose, rely on or publish this email or attachments.  DAFF is not liable for any loss or damage resulting from unauthorised use or dissemination of, or any reliance on, this email or attachments.

If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one, advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly.

This notice should not be deleted or altered.

------