[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue May 18 18:07:58 MDT 2010

Paul Wayper wrote:

> Any other thoughts on ways we can improve the CLUG group and make it more
> accessible to people are welcome!

I was thinking about this more on the bus this morning, and its time for
an old man rant.

I'd like to see more of a focus on fundamentals. It seems to me that a
lot of the people I meet don't have a very good grasp of the basics, and
that there is therefore a gap that needs to be filled there.

Its nice to have a talk about arduino, or elastic gronk 3.0, but I'd
also like to see talks about how file systems work, or rsync, or HTTP,
or what's new in HTML5, or the protocols used in 3G networks or stuff
like that. I think it would be interesting, as well as making me a
better human to spend more time thinking about basics.

Mikal