[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue May 18 16:12:36 MDT 2010

On 5/18/10 9:31 PM, Paul Wayper wrote:

> The other problem I see is that at the moment the CLUG website is a very fixed
> format based on very fixed ideas of how what should be there.  It makes it
> very difficult to add anything that looks like we're vaguely up to date.  My
> plan here is to try to get all the people who have control over
> clug.anu.edu.au and clug.org.au (which includes me, somewhere) together in a
> room to hack together a way several people can update the site without too
> much pain.  Then we can get some progress on keeping the site up to date.

By far the most useful LUG site I go to is the Waikato LUG from NZ.
Interestingly I never intend to go there, they're just the wiki which
has good results for my search terms when I am debugging things.

It would be interesting to see if people are interested in writing up
the outcome of some of the technical discussions from the list and
putting them on a wiki somewhere. Heck, I don't care where they are,
people could blog them and post back links if that made them happier.

(The Sun Managers mailing list was a bit like this back in the day.
You'd ask a question, people would reply off list, and then you were
expected to post back a summary within a couple of weeks. I think
summaries are more useful than the original thread, because it can be
hard to see which bits of a thread actually ended up helping, and
sometimes suggestions along the way are red herrings.)

Mikal