[clug] Android in the Business Press

Jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Sun May 16 17:46:19 MDT 2010

On 14/05/10 4:41 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>
>> I would be nice to see a half decent phone where
>>   * app stores weren't the only way to install apps and
>
> You can install arbitrary APKs on Android (i.e. an APK from a random
> web page).

Can you point me to directions on how to do this as an end user, ie
non-developer?

>>   * you can backup you contacts to YOUR computer not "the cloud"
>> get a decent share of the market.
>
> That's interesting. You can certainly implement a contact provider
> which appears to the user to be just like the one that stores in the
> cloud. For example, on my phone contacts from Gmail and Facebook are
> both treated as equal citizens (and merged in the UI in a sensible
> manner).

Likewise, is there an app or config setting  to configure your own
contact provider? This is something which may be of interest to others.
I haven't been paying as mush attention to setting up android as I
should I suppose.
> Oh, and you can iterate over all contacts on the phone reasonably
> easily as well:
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/3af54436c19c83e7?pli=1

Yeah, one of these days I might actually get around to writing apps like
I planned in the meantime I'm just an end user.

Jeff.