[clug] Reading strace output

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Sat May 15 21:13:43 MDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:29 PM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Can you make some sort of canonical test-rig from the command-line?
> Even a perl script [any perl-mongers got an example?]

This using-all-memory bug only appears after a week or so of usage, so
I can't reproduce it with a small example.

> Access Denied can be a host of things, client or server side.
> - user/account can only make one connection at a time
> - corruption of account details (protocol negotiation fails?)
> - client m/c is now on a different subnet (host not allowed)
> - routing issue with lost return packets? [not this time]
> - a change in the server config...
> - ODBC version changed on server? might work VB/Access and not yours.
> - Reverse DNS lookup failing on server? Or other brain-dead 'check'.

I can rule out most of these - I have administrator access on the
server (Windows Server 2003) and no one else has changed anything with
the database setup.

> Maybe tcpdump on the link looking at a connection that works and the one
> that doesn't might tell you some more.

I looked at the server status page and there were heaps of open
connections. It looks like the Linux ODBC driver defaults to no
timeout, so maybe I was slowly filling up an available connection
pool? I'll try setting a timeout this week.

Thanks for everyone's input.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net