[clug] Ubuntu 10.04 windows close for no apparent reason

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri May 14 19:03:53 MDT 2010

jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au> writes:

> The previous email threads indicated that ubuntu 10.04 seemed OK except
> for a few issues that appeared to be solved.

That would probably be a fair statement to make about any release by any
distribution; other than a few small issues, most of which are resolved
quickly, they get it mostly right before release. ;)

> Hence I upgraded my eepc 10HD to ubuntu 10.04. It seemed successful however,
> there appears to be one thing that is annoying.
>
> Sometimes when I do a mouse click the interface that I am using closes
> for no apparent reason.  For example, evolution closed when I deleted an
> email. This has happened twice on different sessions and different
> emails.
>
> Similarly Open Office 3.2 presentation closes every time I reach a
> certain custom animation in a slide show. I think that the culprit may
> be vertical text that I have rotated 180 degrees and try to get it to
> appear by animation.

[...]

> Meanwhile, has anyone else seen windows closing unexpectedly in ubuntu
> 10.04? It would be nice to know if it is my setup or something within 10.04.

I bet that you are actually having the applications crash, so their windows
vanish.  Go look in ~/.xsession-errors and see if there is evidence there to
support it.

Alternately, run the application from a terminal and you should be able to see
the failure report.

Once you have that, filing a bug upstream should help get it resolved.

        Daniel