[clug] Local Mail Howto

Keith Goggin keith.goggin at bigpond.com
Fri May 14 00:59:26 MDT 2010

Thanks to Amitay Isaacs, Daniel Rose and Steve Jenkin I now have my
Linksys WVC54G network camera working in security mode.

It is detecting movement and sending emails to my 'real' email address
and I can view the attached 5 second (max) .asf video clips in linux
using winff a GUI front-end to ffmpeg.

If I now install an (expensive) infra-red lamp I should be able to
observe the night-time movements of the wildlife around my house (NSW
North Coast Hinterland). Maybe I can build one from IR-LED's more cheaply?

I'm not sure exactly what was wrong but the KISS principle applies.

I did start again from scratch and disabled the second subnet, I just
let the camera get a DHCP lease from the Router via it's wireless access
point and I turned off all security (but on 100 Acres of mostly native
forest that's probably not an immediate problem). Oh and I used my mini
Sidchrome Socket set to tighten the loose FME or was it SMA external
antenna plug/socket that was causing intermittent problems with the signal!

With the necessary codecs installed the normal video output can be
viewed from linux as well.

I've yet to work out how to save much longer clips but serving up the
camera to the outside world is not yet an option due to the high cost
and limited bandwidth of wireless broadband.

PS I fixed that damn Thunderbird line wrap problem as well.

Preferences>composition>General>wrap PLAIN TEXT messages at 72 doesn't
do much when the damned default account settings are compose messages in
HTML!@#
I am planning on trying something else with the next distro release.