[clug] Free Software Foundation E receives the Theodor-Heuss-Medal

Karun Dambiec kdambiec at fsfe.org
Thu May 13 02:43:49 MDT 2010

It looks like the Free Software Foundation Europe has just received the
Theodor-Heuss Medal for their contributions towards free software.
It appears these awards are becoming a lot more common recently.

"Last Saturday was a great day for FSFE. We received
<http://fsfe.org/news/2010/news-20100510-01.en.html> the Theodor Heuss
Medal
<http://theodor-heuss-stiftung.de/ueber-den-theodor-heuss-preis/geschichte-des-preises.html>
for our "extraordinary work for equitable participation in the
information society"! This is a huge honour for FSFE, and it was great
to be there, in front of an audience of hundreds of people, to accept
this award.

The medal highlights a conviction that is at the core of FSFE: That in
these days where technology is everywhere, freedom is not possible
without Free Software; and that in turn, Free Software is the basis for
a free society. We need to work, struggle and fight to gain and defend
our freedom to be the masters of the technology we use, rather than its
slaves.

The topic of this year's award was "The social market economy in the
times of globalisation".  According to the foundation's chairman, FSFE
was chosen for the award because we "contribute to work out new rules
for the social, political and legal framework" of the information
society, and because we help to establish rules for "good global
governance"."

Source: http://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/?p=350