[clug] Android in the Business Press

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu May 13 02:05:50 MDT 2010

steve jenkin quoted an article:

> Publishers who are hoping Apple’s consumer-pays system supplants
> Google’s “everything is free” model had a nasty setback this week:
> Google’s Android operating system for mobile smartphones passed Apple’s
> iPhone in US market share.

The author of the article is surely confused. The cost of the phone
operating system is absorbed by the manufacturer. There isn't any
discernible difference to your average phone consumer given both options
retail for about the same price. Additionally, both have paid and free
apps, so its not like consumers refuse to pay money for applications run
on an open source phone.

I'd be interested in a survey of the percentage of iPhones which are
jail broken on the other hand -- that's got to be an indicator of people
who like to tinker with products they purchase.

Mikal