[clug] Local Mail Howto

Daniel Rose drose at dtlm.homelinux.net
Thu May 6 17:26:45 MDT 2010

On 06/05/10 17:47, Keith Goggin wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Can someone point me to a solution to this problem?
>
> I'm running a home LAN on my Netcomm 3G9WB default address 10.0.0.138
>
> I have configured a second IP Address 192.168.1.1

Does this mean your 3G9WB has two IP addresses and is routing properly
between the subnets?  Where does the Internet fit into the architecture?

> and Subnet Mask for a LAN interface for my Wireless Linksys WVC54G
> camera default address 192.168.1.115. (I know the Linksys doesn't play
> nice if reconfigured to the 10.0.0 sub net.)
>
> The 3G9WB is configured as a Wireless Access Point and I can view the
> video stream on my desktop using a particular browser in a virtual box.

Your pc is 10.x.x.x and you can visit 192.168.1.115? That's good.

> The camera has a facility which will email me a short video clip when
> it detects any motion.
>
> So far so good...
>
> The problem is emails are not getting through, I get the following
> error on the Linksys log:-
>
> 05/06/2010 05:07:49 Send e-mail error.
> 05/06/2010 05:07:45 Motion detected.
>
> It may be the email facility doesn't work or more likely it may be my
> error setting it up.
>
> I've tried local addresses such as
>

> Send To:                user at local.network.name
> Show "From" as:    camera at local.network.name
> Outgoing Mail
> SMTP Server:        localhost (and I've tried 10.0.0.1)

If the router is 10.0.0.138, what's 10.0.0.1? The router can only send
email to an email server (listening on port 25).

First it will try to to a DNS lookup for type MX for the
local.network.name domain.  If that fails, it will probably just try to
send email to the A record for local.network.nam.  If there's no DNS,
there's no email.

If the 3G9WB is doing NAT then you might find that the camera is
'outside' and the place you want to send email to is 'inside', which
means it won't work that way either.

More:

> I have now set the SMTP Server address to 10.0.0.1 being the address
of my mail server and the only general purpose machine on  my network at
the moment. I'm unsure how to check that 10.0.0.1 can accept mail from
192.168.1.115?

configure a PC with that IP address and connect it instead of the
Camera, then

telnet 10.0.0.1 25

> So I have tried setting  port forwarding on my router, but
unfortunately I'm still getting the 'Send e-mail error' on the camera.

Can you explain which subnets are connected to which labelled ports on
the router please?