[clug] Samba server: multiple shares in Windows? Or share-level security?

ahallnabble ahallnabble at bizave.com
Tue May 4 19:52:34 MDT 2010

I've setup Samba servers before on Ubuntu boxes, so I know how to setup a
basic Samba server.  One limitation I've run into (perhaps a Windows
limitation more than a Samba issue) has been the inability to login to two
shares at the same time.  That is, when using user-level security instead of
share-level security, I can't be logged into two shares at once.

I have a network now that requires people to login to more than one share at
a time.  Most of the clients are Windows XP.  I have found that if I use
share-level security instead of user, I can login to multiple shares.
WIndows XP does not ask for a username in this mode, just the password.  All
works well with this method...with XP.  I have run into problems recently
trying to connect both Mac OS X clients and Windows 7 clients.  Both
actually do ask for a username and password; I had thought that in both
cases, the username would simply be discarded but no matter, I still can't
login to the shares no matter what combinations I try.

So at this point I need to do either one of two things: move back to
user-level security instead of shared - and figure out how to be able to
login to two different shares at once - or figure out how to make
share-level security work with Mac OS X and Windows 7 clients.  Any
suggestions?  Currently using Ubuntu 9.04 and Samba 2:3.3.2-1ubuntu3.2
(which I assume is some flavor of Samba 3.3.2).

Thanks much!