[clug] Ubuntu Lynx (10.04) and window button positions

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Mon May 3 16:13:21 MDT 2010

On 04/05/10 07:33, Andrew Janke wrote:
> Just a quick heads up for those who want the metacity
> close/minimize/maximise buttons back on the right side of the window.
> There has been a heap of noise about this but for a quick fix just do
> this:
>
>     $ gconftool-2 -s /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string
> menu:minimize,maximize,close
>
> You can also use the pointy-click gconf-editor to do this but I like
> the above as I can script it.

Thanks for that Andrew

I am going to persist with the new style but ut us good to have an out.

> Beyond that I am liking the latest release so far, I can now add more
> things to my list of "just works" with my laptop. Best of all I am now
> using the nouveau driver instead of the nvidia binary blob.
>
>     http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Video driver improvement is the biggie for me. I now get acceptable GL
performance from my Mobility Radeon with the free driver radeonhd.
I plan to get Drishti running after all these months with a laptop
theoretically capable of supporting it(after I submit my thesis)!

Had two glitches after the upgrade. One was really weird when latex
couldn't find my agsm.bst. I even embarrassed myself by reporting it as
a bug. It worked later(I recalling having run pdflatex at the wrong time
during the upgrade). *facepalm*

Next glitch was with the video driver. The cursor goes invisible after
suspend/resume. It reappears after some video events which I have not
nailed down. It is visible across last night's suspend, so it is going
to take a bit of time to quantify.

I have posted a description on the Ubuntu Desktop Forum before I raise
the bug. No responses yet
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9225739#post9225739

Anthony