[clug] Wikipedia and Deletionism

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Mar 24 21:01:02 MDT 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Karun Dambiec wrote:

> Has wikipedia's deletionists gone too far?
> I noticed this morning they are trying to get deleted the page about the
> Australian National University.
> The same seems to be happening for a lot of free software like DWM etc.
>
> Has anyone experienced the same with other free open source projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maui_Cluster_Scheduler was nearly deleted.  I
got involved and helped to save it.  Maui is widely used in HPC.

Some people seriously suggested it was non-notable because it didn't run
on their MS-Windows PC.  No joking that time unfortunately.

I also managed to get an AfD proposal withdrawn for "Boston bun" after I
pointed out a clear US bias in that case.

There are other articles I've helped to save after they were claimed to be
non-notable.

I've largely withdrawn from WP these days, after having been quite active
for a number of years.  IMHO rules-lawyers are stiffling the processes
that led WP to be successful in the first place.

Rob

Email: robert at timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
Open Source: The revolution that silently changed the world