[clug] Wikipedia and Deletionism

Jason j.lee.nielsen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 17:30:40 MDT 2010

It seems that wikipedia is making decisions about whether or not they are the correct place to list information on floss projects, is there a secondary location to move this data to? I dont imagine it would tie up much resources to host a wiki containing the information on all the floss projects out there, and nothing would stop the secondary wiki linking back to relevant content still in wikipedia, from what I could tell having a quick look at their own stats, wikipedia is on the downward slope of growth[1], I cant find stats off hand on their deletes per month but I assume at some stage these two numbers will one day cross and wikipedia will die.

I imagine a distributed encyclopaedia of some sort, maybe something like wigit would be suitable for this (I havent used it, just googled for git based wiki)?

Jason

1 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Enwikipediagrowth6.PNG
2 : http://el-tramo.be/software/wigit