[clug] Nagios show status information as (null)

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Tue Mar 23 06:15:35 MDT 2010

Antony Wuth wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Have you managed to run the script as the user that nrpe will be
> running as? nrpe seems to not do much checking of the output (or
> failures) before passing it across the network back to nagios.

I'm away from the computer at the moment so this is mostly from memory.
I'll double check what you suggest tomorrow.

I can successfully call it remotely via check_nrpe with nrpe in daemon
mode so I don't believe the problem is with the nrpe side on the target
machine.

from the command line on the monitoring machine I can do:

$ ../libexec/check_nrpe -n -t 20 -H <hostaddress> -c check_real_script
OK
$ echo $?
0

yet fails from within nagios which seems to suggest that the problem is
there and/or rather what I'm giving it. Having said that if you can
think of a specific test I'll try it.

Jeff.