[clug] alias screen=screen -e^\`\` from putty

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Mar 22 02:14:59 MDT 2010

James Ring <sjr at jdns.org> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Hal Ashburner <hal.ashburner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I prefer to use screen -e^\`\` as my screen alias. I use the default
>> keybindings with my shell, which I think are emacs, ctrl+a is awfully useful
>> to edit the start of the line. This is all great. Except if I'm using putty
>
> ctrl-a a will send the "ctrl-a" keystroke to the shell. When you're
> not inside screen this will put an 'a' at the beginning of the line,
> but you quickly get used to that! ;)

I *loath* that; it works, but if you do a lot of text editing under screen it
gets old *really* quickly.  Obviously a matter of taste (and editor), though.

Anyway, more usefully, I ended up binding C-] to my screen escape as the best
conjunction of little-used, easy to type, and available everywhere.

        Daniel