[clug] alias screen=screen -e^\`\` from putty

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Mon Mar 22 01:54:09 MDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 04:59:29PM +1100, Hal Ashburner wrote:

> I prefer to use screen -e^\`\` as my screen alias. I use the default
> keybindings with my shell, which I think are emacs, ctrl+a is awfully
> useful to edit the start of the line. This is all great. Except if I'm
> using putty to ssh into a server. Screen never seems to get the control+`
> keystroke chord. I'm not sure if this is putty not sending it or some
> TERM=voodoo voodoo or something else.
> Any clues? (other than resume screen with $ screen -e^aA -rd when using
> putty).

Check with a simple 'cat' command outside screen whether the remote is
getting nothing at all, or something wierd.  At any rate, putty's
config somewhere has a "terminal emulation" setting, which includes
how settings for how it sends keystrokes like this.  $TERM
is usually propagated by ssh, so putty is likely to be setting it.
Choosing something else (eg. xterm instead of vt102) might be the way
to go.

ctrl+` is particularly wierd because it's ^@ (ie. \0, 0x0, NUL) in my
xterms, at least.  ctrl+space does the same.

Kev.

| Kevin Pulo                Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. |
| kev at pulo.com.au               _ll l_ng__g_e_ _r_ hi__ly p__d_ct__le. |
| http://www.kev.pulo.com.au/         God casts the die, not the dice. |
`--------------- Linux: The choice of a GNU generation. ---------------'