[clug] cheap pvr

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Mar 21 14:44:33 MDT 2010

Hal wrote on 22/03/10 2:21 AM:
> Somebody here (sorry somebody) whom I've forgotten wanted to build an
> utlra-super-mega-cheap pvr
> I bumped into this dvb usb tuner:
> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28891
> USD $15 including shipping. Seems pretty cheap to me. Rumour has it
> there's some kind of working linux drivers.
> http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Default.dx/sku.28891~threadid.570557
> I Wonder if it would work on MIPS. I don't see why it wouldn't but I've
> no experience. Does anyone know?
>
> Hal

No experience with DVB-T, but there's a comment at the bottom of the
'review' about the device being 'BDA' and needing sufficient CPU
resources. Sounds like "software modems".

Wikipedia says it's a Microsoft standard.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Driver_Architecture>

Anyone on the list used/know about BDA devices?