[clug] Stallman visit

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:20:02 MDT 2010

On 19 March 2010 05:10, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> Brendan Jurd wrote:
>> Part of the reason GNU enjoys such widespread use is the success of
>> Linux.  Part of the success of Linux is due to its name.  It's short,
>> it's catchy, it's easy to pronounce.  By contrast, "GNU/Linux" would
>> have Hindenburged right into the ground.
>
> Do you have any evidence to support that statement? I find it pretty hard to
> believe, especially given that Linux is most successful in fields where the
> users are unaware of the software they are using (servers, embedded systems,
> etc).

Well since the only way to get solid evidence about my statement would
be to travel back in time and convince Linus that he needs to name his
new operating system GNU/Linux and rigorously enforce that convention
and see how successful it is ... no, I don't have any evidence.

Maybe it could have worked out, but personally, I just can't imagine
the same level of enthusiasm for "guh-noo-slash-lin-ux".  Names
matter.

What I said was intended as opinion/speculation not demonstrable fact,
apologies if I came off the wrong way.

Cheers,
BJ