[clug] Stallman visit

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Thu Mar 18 11:15:16 MDT 2010

Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On 18 March 2010 10:56, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On 18/03/2010, at 10:52 , Steven Hanley wrote:
>>
>>> Just a thought, Bob just suggested that maybe RMS will not want to visit
>>> CLUG asw we do not include Gnu in the name of the user group.
>>>
>> Would you use an operating system called "Linux/GNU/Apache/ISC/…"?  Just typing out the name of the OS shouldn't be the major use of your time when using a particular OS.
>>

> Indeed.  There's much to admire in what RMS has done in the software
> world, and much to be grateful to him for.  But his perverse demand
> that everybody prepend "GNU/" to things is ... well, lame.
>
> Part of the reason GNU enjoys such widespread use is the success of
> Linux.  Part of the success of Linux is due to its name.  It's short,
> it's catchy, it's easy to pronounce.  By contrast, "GNU/Linux" would
> have Hindenburged right into the ground.

Counterpoint examples:

Ubuntu

$ uname -a
Linux carbonate 2.6.31-020631-generic #020631 SMP Thu Sep 10 21:43:40
UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Debian

$cat /etc/motd

Linux ajd.adavid.com.au 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx #1 Sun Feb 21 09:05:05 UTC 2010
armv5tel

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.