[clug] Timer closing on window shutters

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sat Mar 13 22:33:28 MST 2010

On 14/03/2010, at 12:33 , jhock wrote:

> I want to install some window rollers shutters. I would also like to
> have them automatically shut at certain times when the sun is not
> shining on them to manage the heat gain that they will provide.

"Focus" install battery-operated roller shutters. They use a battery controller since mains-powered controllers would require an electrician to install and test the controllers, yadda yadda.

The battery-powered controllers should be pretty easy to hack - you just have to have some relays (or optical isolators) to emulate the pressing of buttons. The controllers provided with the shutters have "up", "stop" and "down" switches, and will automatically stop winding once the shutter is up or down.

You could install reed switches to detect when shutters are in various positions, especially since the Focus shutters have a "filtered light" position which is just short of closed, where the gaps between slats of the shutters open up to let a little light inside.

Alex