[clug] Using Kindle?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Mar 13 00:08:08 MST 2010

Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk> writes:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:10:24 +1100, Karun Dambiec wrote:
>
>> There are many alternatives to Amazon in terms of ordering paper copies of
>> books such as the *Book Depository*, second hand book stores etc.
>
> Again, I have to thank all who shared their experiences and pointed me to
> alternatives to Kindle.
>
> For the record, here is what I found:
>
> 1. The (UK-based) Book Depository sells all the (test-checked) books
>    offered by (US) Amazon; I tested the availability of a current best-
>    seller and the Godel book (that I have recently ordered from Amazon).

Let me direct your attention, briefly, to http://www.booko.com.au/ for you to
consider the next time you are looking at a purchase like this.

[...]

> 2. Kindle versions of recently-published books are generally available and
>    somewhat cheaper than the printed versions; none of several checked "old"
>    books had a Kindle version.

Keep in mind that eBook prices, kindle or otherwise, are unlikely to change as
time passes.  They stay the same price, books go hardback -> trade ->
mass-market, and second-hand, and get cheaper as they go along.

Also, you might want to look into, say, the Sony eBook store, or Baen, to see
what the competition for your devices are. :)

        Daniel