[clug] Help needed cloning a Debian 2.2 system

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Mar 12 01:06:50 MST 2010

Stephen Hodgman <steve at namsys.com.au> writes:

> I need some help cloning an old Debian system running applications using
> iBCS.  What I would like to do is get this running under a virtual machine I
> think.

*nod*  That shouldn't be *too* hard to achieve.  Most of the VM systems,
including KVM, can emulate hardware old enough that the drivers available to a
2.2 kernel should be able to work.

> We have had a good run but the replacement systme has been delayed so we
> want to make sure everything keeps running meantime.  I am unclear of the
> exact details on how to best achieve this.

I can't necessarily advise the best method, but the easiest would be to grab a
copy of the disk, turn it into a suitable disk image for something like KVM,
and then try booting it.

Many commercially supported solutions, including VMWare, include a "cold"
migration tool which while automate the process, but you can also use the
'qemu-img' tool to convert a "raw" image to whatever output format you want.

It might be worth giving that a shot yourself before you go paying someone to
do it. :)
        Daniel