[clug] USB Smart Card Reader for Linux and Mac OS X (linux Digest, Vol 87, Issue 9, Message 9)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 05:34:52 MST 2010

> Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:02:37 +1100
> From: Karun Dambiec <kdambiec at fsfe.org>
>
> Hi,
> I have a Fellowship of the FSFE Openpgp
> Cryptocard(https://fellowship.fsfe.org/card.html), and am now looking
> for a suitable smart card reader.
> Have you used one, or can recommend one? It needs to use USB, and be
> capable of working both on Linux and Mac OS X.

Karun,
	Whelp, I can't say "it works", as I've never tried to use it, but I have a GemPlus (Now "GemAlto", IIRC) GEMPC430 USB smartcard reader. I _believe_ it works, as OSX-Tiger Smartcard-login docco suggests Mac is OK, and dim memory whispers to me that Linux is OK too. It is recognised in the MacOS System Profiler, but the Tiger smartcard-login setup procedure is hideously complicated (even requires ->GASP!<- sudo-editing files in /etc!!!). The setup may be easier or more straightforward with Snow/Leopard, but I wouldn't bet on it.
	Honestly, I'd suspect you'd know more than I would about the usefulness of this device. But I have one if you want to play with it.

M0les.