[clug] Mouse problem in Xorg (maybe?)

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Mar 4 17:21:28 MST 2010

Rob Bolin <rob at unigon.tv> writes:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> Do you mean that when the mouse cursor is displayed in the middle of the
>> screen, and you click the button, it acts on the left hand side of the
>> screen?  (eg: the visible and "real" mouse cursors are offset)
>
> This...
>
>> Can you post your X log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log, if you use a standard display
>> manager) to show what the system thinks is going on?  Also, the output of
>> 'xrandr --prop' and 'xinput list', please?[1]
> Output follows

Darn.  Well, that says that your physical and virtual display sizes match, and
everything else looks normal.  I have no idea what is going on; no obvious
errors, and poking around locally tells me that there really isn't anything
you can frob on the XINPUT front to adjust things.

The mismatched display / logical cursor position makes me suspect some sort of
driver bug, where the hardware cursor position is misprogrammed, but that
really is just in the realm of guessing.

You /might/ find more information if you use 'xinput list', find the mouse,
grab the id=10 (or whatever) number, and then use 'xinput query-state 10' on
the device.  (10 was my USB mouse; your number will vary depending on the run
of the X server.)

That will tell you where the system thinks the cursor is, and will (I expect)
confirm that it ranges from 0,0 in the top-left corner to 1279,919 in the
bottom-right, regardless of where the visible cursor is. :/

At that point, at least, you can be pretty confident that it is a display
driver bug and go looking for upgrades and/or vendor support there.

Good luck,
          Daniel