[clug] Rescuing old motherboards the hard way

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Thu Jun 24 19:39:24 MDT 2010

On Thu 24 June 2010 18:01:40 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:19:29 +0930
> From: Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net>
> To: <linux at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [clug] Rescuing old motherboards the hard way
>
>  Hi people,
>
>  Through a bit of handwaving and vaguery I have found a couple of
> machines in my hands. They're out of warranty, the manufacturer
> doesn't want them back, and they're perfect for an application that I
> have in mind for them. They have no VGA output but can talk through a
> serial console and have USB connectors. They boot off a pair of SATA
> disks RAIDed through an Adaptec board.

Are you certain that they do local boot ?  If they were part of a server farm
they might be set to boot from network only.

If a tftp server and boot image are available you might get the motherboard to
boot.  If not then perhaps a USB keyboard and F12 (probably for Phoenix BIOS)
to try for an alternate boot source.

Another possibility is to get a PCI VGA card in there some way and see if that
is recognised.  Together with USB keyboard that would facilitate checking BIOS
settings.

I've not used a SATA raid card.  The previous generation IDE ones often had a
(Wind only) utility for changing BIOS parameters of the card.