[clug] Anti-Virus Software

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Tue Jun 22 04:59:02 MDT 2010

Ivan Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> greater in-built security (since hardly anyone
> uses root as their day-to-day account)

This is one of the most dangerous misconceptions with regards to Linux
security.

root only owns system files like installed software. That can be
replaced off any old install CD. You're probably running your browser
with the same user privileges as all your really important stuff, like
your photos, documents, source code, projects, etc. That's the data
that's valuable, and it's most vulnerable.

> + fewer random exes to download
> and execute in the wild

A function of popularity. If Linux becomes more popular, more random
software will be available for download, and it will carry random
malicious payloads. Then we'll have many of the same problems Windows
systems have.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au