[clug] Anti-Virus Software

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jun 21 23:53:59 MDT 2010

Ivan Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> writes:
> On 22 June 2010 15:31, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> And then you get through setting up the firewall, only to find that some
>> machine has been infected by a virus taking advantage of a zero day exploit
>> in your web browser's JPEG decompression.
>
> Which in my understanding is why Firefox devs won't simply use system
> codecs for H.264, etc. like people were saying they should.

Hah — the old argument!  ...because it isn't like there is any possible way
that the Mozilla development team could possibly be less responsive or
effective than the distribution security team, and because having multiple
disparate versions of the same code never causes security issues, right?

*cough* zlib *cough*

        Daniel

Both sides have valid points, and both doubtless have idiots supporting them,
and anything that presents the arguments without recognising that complexity
is pretty ... well, pretty hard to support, I suggest.