[clug] Anti-Virus Software

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jun 21 23:31:54 MDT 2010

On 22/06/2010, at 13:51, Ivan Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I saw that and was wondering what they were on about.  Is
> running ClamAV on my emails sufficient?  How about the firewall in my
> router?

I remember at one point in the past I tries running a FireHOL firewall - anything not explicitly allowed is denied. It was an amazing learning experience, I can tell you :) To make such a firewall work you really need to be aware of every protocol in use by every machine on you network. Have a friend come to visit? Have fun configuring all the appropriate rules for their system, too!

And then you get through setting up the firewall, only to find that some machine has been infected by a virus taking advantage of a zero day exploit in your web browser's JPEG decompression.

Alex Satrapa | web.mac.com/alexsatrapa | Ph: 0407 705 332